This course is aimed at people who are required to take factual minutes of meetings, from large formal committee meetings to informal team briefings. It will provide minute takers with additional confidence and skill to produce accurate, clear and professional minutes
On completion of the course the delegates will be able to:
- Link the preparation and planning of meetings with accurate minutes
- Skilfully develop their preferred method of taking notes
- Improve the layout and format of the agenda and minutes to enhance clarity
- Identify the relevant and key points from a meeting; learn how and what to select
- Enhance concentration through effective listening skills
- Save time by adopting new techniques on drafting and writing up minutes
This course is practical and interactive, with emphasis on creating a supportive environment to build confidence. Individual and group exercises enable the participants to exchange ideas, build on existing strengths, try out new techniques and identify areas for further development.
Aims and objectives
- Meeting preparation and agenda setting
- Using the agenda to improve minute taking
- Who takes the minutes?
- Working with the Chair
- The purpose of minutes
- Matching minutes to the audience
- Essential Writing skills
- Key listening skills
- Troubleshooting: common problems and how to overcome them
The course will include opportunities for practical exercises and role play as aids to learning.
All courses are also available on an in-house fixed price basis and can be customised to suit individual needs.